birding-aus

silvereyes

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: silvereyes
From: "Karina Mercer" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:26:26 +1030
Well, I'm not much of a fig eater (except possibly dried and soaked in alcohol!), but it's been well worth having one in the garden. Our rented abode has a medium size tree - what's medium tho'? about 3m in this case - which is 'a prolific bearer' in horticultural speak. When we moved in during Feb 1998 we caught the tail end of the crop and were surprised and pleased to spot a group of silvereyes which visited the tree and enjoyed the fruit.

Thinking this was a one-off occasion, I was doubly pleased this year when, after some mild ravaging of fruit by starlings, I noticed the silvereyes were back. They have entertained me now for over a month, at first regular as clockwork at around 5-5.30pm. Recently I noticed that they are not around at that time, moving in to feed around 2.30pm but I've also noticed them in the mid morning, around 11.30am. I had a thought that perhaps their absence in the afternoon is due to the evenings getting darker earlier?

It's still a pleasure to see them outside every day, particularly as they are not overly worried about someone gawking at them endlessly (strange beasts these humans are). I hope they return next year.

Ms Karina Mercer
4 Shirley Avenue
Felixstow 5070

Ph: (08) 8365 3020