birding-aus

Re: Crested Bellbirds near Maryborough (Vic)

Subject: Re: Crested Bellbirds near Maryborough (Vic)
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:24:11 +1100
 wrote:

> Steve Clark asked about the distribution of Created Bellbirds in central
> Victoria.  Crested Bellbirds are widespread in the Victorian central
> goldfields,
> but never common. They occur from Rushworth Forest west to the St Arnaud area
> and
> south to
> Talbot and near Campbelltown.  There appears to be a gap between about Mt
> Bolangum
> (west of St Arnaud) and the Little Desert where they are widespread, as they
> are
> in the Big Desert and Sunset Country to the north.

Menkhorst's

Peter mentions a southern limit at Talbot.  They have in recent years moved
permanently further south towards Clunes in an area they used to be intermittent
in.  At Clunes they occur in dense scrub of Kangaroo Thorn (Acacia paradoxa) but
also more widely in 'natural' and coppiced box-ironbark forest.  This tiny
expansion
is interesting in terms of their contraction from Chiltern.

I've always found them moderately locally abundant also at Timor State Forest
just
NE of Maryborough - not far from Steve's observation at Havelock.

Cheers -- Lawrie

--
LAWRIE CONOLE