birding-aus

Roost destruction SEQld

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Roost destruction SEQld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:38:41 +1100
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of news, which might be of particular interest to all those
birding-aussers who accompanied us recently on the cruise of the
Pumicestone Passage. I have been silent of late because of being totally
engrossed in negotiations over Dux Creek, Bribie Island.

The destruction of the Dux Creek wader roost will now go ahead, following a
recent development approval in Caboolture Council. Council was caught in a
dreadful bind, and to have refused the application would have landed them
in court in a case they probably could not win. Pre-existing council and
state department approvals are the culprits here.

The developer has offered $100,000 for land acquisition or works to build
an artificial roost elsewhere in the Passage. It isn't enough for land
acquisition, but it's all we've got. Queensland Wader Study Group has
accepted the offer (which goes to Council as a bond) and we are working
towards selecting a suitable site and whatever follows. It will be an
interesting year. I hope the waders will be the beneficiaries of this
undertaking, or it will be a lot of time wasted. Dux Creek is no minor
roost, accommodating up to 1000 Eastern Curlew on southward migration, as
well as thousands of other waders..

I'm sorry friends, I haven't time to answer questions about this. I am
about to unsubscribe and head off (Tuesday) for a couple of months in the
Middle East and Europe. If you want to know more, a public posting might be
picked up by one of the other subscribers who knows about it. (I will still
be accessible through this email address whilst away.)

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld