birding-aus

Little Tern and others

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Tern and others
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:14:57 +1100
I wish to thank Peter for the account of the changes to the Schedule to the
Endangered Species Protection Act. His information supports my own sources.
The decision making process was clear but it is good that it was spelt out
here on birding-aus. My second question has not yet been tackled. That was
"is it good science?" I know the decision making process. What I really want
to know is an informed statement from any birders, professional ecologists
or otherwise, as to whether the Little Tern (and others now reviewed) can be
considered so numerous as to warrant this change of status. Do their numbers
and breeding success suggest a stable population? Is their habitat under
threat? etc ... I am not casting doubts on the advice from the Endangered
Species Advisory Committee. I just want an open debate. We can then decide
as to whether we think the processes under the Act are adequate and whether
funding opportunities, diminished as they may be, should be considered from
other sources, etc
Brian Everingham

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"