birding-aus

Little Terns

Subject: Little Terns
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:16:08 +1000

John Harris wrote:
>It sounds very much like the pair of Peregrine
>Falcons that nested on the wharf at Devonport or Launceston and fed
>their young on migrating Orange-bellied Parrots.

I don't know where this story originated, but it must be an urban myth. OBPs are
not known to migrate through Launceston or Devonport, they move along a very
narrow strip of the west coast of Tas.

However, there is a Peregrine eyrie on an island off the north-west tip of Tas
from where one of our few band returns was obtained. A band which had been
applied to the leg of an OBP at Melaleuca was collected amongst the prey remains
in the eyrie by a reseacher studying the Peregrines.

Peter Menkhorst

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"