birding-aus

Spotlighting at Fogg Dam

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Spotlighting at Fogg Dam
From: "Steve Popple" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:43:51 +1100
Last night we ventured to a long meant to do trip to Fogg Dam NT at night.After experiencing one of those electrical storms that only the Top End can produce we arrived at Fogg Dam. As it was only twilight there was a few Great Egrets feeding where the dam wall overflowed, some Magpie Geese foraging in the Spike Rush and a lone Jacana patrolling the Lotus Lillies.Once it was dark we saw three Barking Owls along the dam wall, one was sitting on the road and would let you walk right up to it before moving off.A word of warning if wandering around Fogg Dam at night it does contain saltwater cocodiles and we had plenty of time to study the one laying on the dam wall ambushing prey washed across the road.

On the way out we saw a bush stone curlew on the roadside, plus a barn owl patrolling along the paddocks which obliging sat on the fence to give us plenty of time to study it in detail.This was a great event as it was one of those important birds missing from my list.Unfortunately further down the road we found another Barn Owl sitting by the roadside with a broken wing, we managed to catch it with a blanket and it was picked up today by wildlife rescue with a good chance of recovery.
Steve.