birding-aus

Birdwatching Tourism

To: <>
Subject: Birdwatching Tourism
From: "Ralph REID" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:48:41 +1100
One suggestion occurs to me - not so much to do with tourism, per se, but
more to do with raising and building up a core of local interest.

I live adjacent to a council reserve, mainly grassed areas and several
playing fields on an area of a watercourse that runs through the suburb and
is subject to flooding with even moderate rain.  The local council have
planted quite a lot of trees in what appears to be a soil stablilisation
strategy, predominantly she-oaks with some very few eucalypts, and basically
no undercover. None of these seem to attract very much birdlife, from what I
have observed. I would think that the reserve does not have any really
suitable habitats to encourage birds into it, but that this could be
improved if council could be prevailed on to provide better habitat
plantings.

Perhaps birders should start a concerted 'Bring Back The Birds' campaign at
their local levels - letters to council are always a first step and most
areas have a local press that will welcome any material fed to it.
Information on proper habitat plantings for the local area (I don't know
anything about that, but someone must know all this kind of stuff),
information of the bird species that could be encouraged back into the area,
and so on.

All it needs is one or two people in each local government area to keep
pushing, pushing, pushing - easily done if the national organisations can
make scientifically correct information available to regional co-ordinators
on which they can base their letters and submissions.  Keep it in front of
the attention of the public, and sooner or later you will raise an awareness
of birds in the local area - let's bring back the birds.

Ralph Reid
Sydney

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"