birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Seasickness - the pelagic disease

To: <>, "Tony Palliser" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Seasickness - the pelagic disease
From: "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:43:26 +1100
Hi Tony and all

Yes, I have been a victim aswell. I remember my worst experience of sea
sickness, was on my first Sydney pelagic a few years ago (after going on a
few  Wollongong pelagics without getting sick, even on rough trips). (Tony I
 remember you were on that trip aswell and you were in much better shape
than I was). On that particular  trip I was sick all day, but luckily I did
not miss
out on any new birds or cetaceans on that occassion. When I heard those
magic words "Stop the boat", I quickly raced out from the cabin and
temporarily
 forget about sea sickness for a few minutes. After seeing what was found,
then
 all gave way, and then I turn to the side the boat and feed those friendly
seabirds. I remember I had Orange juice that morning and it is definately a
big no no for me before any pelagics.

Nowadays, I am getting more use to them (and more comfortable in moving
around more and eating food) and the following may be why :-

-  a better night's sleep (atleast 7 or 8  hours)

- standing up for atleast the first half of the trip

- drink water regularly to prevent dehydration (dehydration has caused me
to get sea-sick in the past)

- eating dry things such as pretzels and chips

- keeping the sea breeze behind me for the duration of the trip

- try to prevent sleeping on the boat, even if you are getting tired.

- stay away from the boat fumes

- looking at the horizon (don't look down at the water around you all the
time)

- if hardly any birds about the boat, and if all other birders are sea sick,
talk to the skipper, even talk about fishing with him.

- anticipating a new lifer or a major rarity should be out there and it will
be behind the
boat quite soon.

- think that you rarely have such an oppotunity to be on a boat many km out
at sea in your life, especailly if you spend alot of time in the office all
week. Enjoy the fresh air!!!!

- don't think about sea-sickness

I would suggest the above to anyone contemplating their next pelagic.

Edwin