birding-aus

Re: Seasickness.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Seasickness.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:40:19 +1100
Hi All, thought I'd better send something about the subject as I feel I'm as qualified as anyone (born in a crab-pot, Portland, England, spent 11 years in R.A.N. etc. etc.). As all who know me will attest I have never been sea-sick and after experiencing probably the worst the Worlds' Oceans can throw at one, probably never will be. This is not about bragging but after spending most of my life at sea, watching people being sea-sick and being sicked upon (some Sea World deckies have done that to me - bastards!) I feel I can enlighten some of you.

Andrew Stafford made a few comments I would agree with, particularly about the citrus angle. Oranges in themselves do not seem to be a problem but orange juice is, in a word don't drink it before or during a trip! Almost every time I see someone being sick early in a trip they are bringing up an orange coloured fluid (guess what).

Here are a few tips that I feel could be of some help:
  • On your very first trip DON'T take medication, see how you go and watch everyone else, particularly the more experienced sea-birders, don't be afraid to ask about the subject.
  • Do by all means have a good sleep before the trip in question, even on a calm day 8 hours on a moving vessel concentrating on birds is tiring for EVERONE.
  • DON'T change your normal dietry regimen before the trip, I might add hard-boiled eggs are excellent after you get on board, just stand downwind of everone though please.
  • Drink plenty of fresh water, fizzy drinks can be okay (they make you burp) but can induce de-hydration, I am about to introduce Lucozade onto the Sea World trips and see how that goes.
  • DO NOT sit down waiting for someone to find you the seabirds, take an active interest, believe me it helps. Sitting down does nothing at all for your adjustment to balance. I realize some of us aren't so mobile  as others but do your best and listen out for that "bugger you mate, get out of the way, I'm trying to photograph that for the BARC"

A lot has been written about pelagic trips over the years, most of it "rot", anyone  who would like a more in depth discussion about the subject can e-mail me or ring me, I am quite willing to talk about the subject in depth. Basically there are a lot of people coming out with us once and never again, mainly due to ill-advice and lack of back up info.
Cheers - Paul Walbridge.
PH. (H) 07 3391 8839
      (W) 07 3350 8258