birding-aus

birding-aus morphological measurements

Subject: birding-aus morphological measurements
From: Lynda Chambers <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:01:59 +1000 (EST)
As part of a study I am conducting I require some morphological
measurements on a number of Australian birds.  If any one knows
of where I could obtain such information I would appreciate it.

The type of measurements I am interested in are:
 Wingspan: the extreme tip-to-tip distance with the wings
           spread to the maximum extent
 Wing Area: the projected area of both wings including the
           area of body between the wings

or alternatively and prefered:
  Aspect ratio or Wing loading

The species I am most interested in include:
  Australian Magpie
  Blackbird
  Cape Barren Goose
  Eastern Rosella
  Eastern Yellow Robin
  Grey Fantail
  House Sparrow
  Magpie-lark
  Noisy Miner
  Purple Swamphen
  Red-capped Robin
  Red Wattlebird
  Spotted Turtle-dove
  Wood Duck
  Welcome Swallow
  Willie Wagtail

but information on other species would also be useful.

Lynda Chambers
Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre
Street Address: 150 Lonsdale Street MELBOURNE   Vic  3001
Postal Address: GPO 1289k MELBOURNE  Vic 3001
E-Mail:
Phone : +613 9669 4784   Fax : +613 9669 4660
WWW Page: http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/mrlr/lec/lec.htm

quotes)