birding-aus

birding-aus Birding highlights 1999

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: birding-aus Birding highlights 1999
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 21:14:03 +1100
Greetings all
I have waited till the last minute to write. Who knows what might arise? It
has been quite a year, really. I was tempted to record the wonderful birding
opportunities provided for Mike and Rosie Ounsted when they stayed with us
earlier this month here in our own Royal National Park (those Green Catbirds
and Superb Lyrebirds could not be more obliging and there is a real pleasure
in seeing a guest complain that he had to retreat to use his scope).
Equally, I could have opted for the Osprey entertaining my wife and I as we
ate on the balcony of a restaurant in Coffs Harbour, the Noisy pitta come to
us as we birded Dorrigo, etc, etc ... but, well, for sheer enjoyment and
professionalism I am opting for the magical week with Klaus et al at Pajinka
in January. It was stunning. (And Klaus does not even pay me!) The knowledge
of Klaus, Peter and Gordon made the whole time there simply stunning. The
birds there? Well, for me the kingfishers were really special ... the Buff
Breasted Paradise, the Yellow Billed, etc ...but my wife would definitely
tell me I should add her first ever clear view of the Noisy Pitta and that
Red Bellied Pitta. I don't know. A first visit to this part of the world
added 36 new species and I want to go back.
Now I am packing for a walking and part-birding trip to Vietnam. Does that
count for 2000?
Brian Everingham

quotes)