birding-aus

birding-aus Highlights '99

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Highlights '99
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 18:34:51 +1100
I love Boxing Day.The Christmas pressure is off, the Sydney to Hobart is on, the cricket is on (well, in a fashion) and here in Maleny on the Blackall Range, Sunshine Coast hinterland there is anything but sunshine.Our local weather station reports we have received over 3200mm (that's 10 feet in the old money) up to mid-December, and it continues to pour, as it's done all year!!
So, some unstructed highlights from '99---

     1.Striated heron 60km inland on South Burnett River at Goodnight Scrub over Easter.For one mad moment I thought I had my first bittern.Alas and alack!!

     2. Doing a raptor count in southern Moreton Bay with Peter Woodall, in  comfort, exploring the many islands and channels.

     3.An Australian Hobby soaring over Pt.Lookout, South Stradbroke on my 50th birthday

    4.First Baillon's Crake at Buckley's Hole, Bribie Is.in Aug.

    5.First visits to Gluepot, Hattah Lakes, Chiltern, and the south coast of NSW on a 6 week semi-birding camping trip which resulted in 221 birds .Highlights of trip included ticks for White-browed Treecreeper (it was good to be back in the mallee), Eastern Bristlebird (finally),Rockwarbler,Black Honeyeater,and Flame Robin.Other joys included close and lengthy views of a Spotted Harrier in central Vic.,Red-necked Avocet,Gang-gangs, Regent Parrot,Budgies,Elegant Parrot, Striated Grasswren,Pilotbird,Chestnut Quail-thrush,four species of woodswallow in one morning in NW Vic,,Sept.(Masked,White-browed,Black-faced,Dusky)

   6.Flock of 35 Whistling Kites soaring at Glasshouse Mts. on way home from work in Nov.

   7.Doing Atlas and BOP sheets

   8.Continuing to add to home list, now 115+, last addition Wonga Pigeon

   9.Giving talk to local landcare group about Atlas and (hopefully) engendering greater interest in the relationships between humans, flora, avifauna,etc.

Of course there were also spectacular dips where heaps of planning, research, discussions, and plain hard work in the field failed to produce what others were locating with relative ease--- most notably and annoyingly both Red-lored and Gilbert's Whistlers, Mallee Emu-wren, Black-eared Miner (I could go on and on -but I won't!!)

    Many thanks to Russell (great name!) and fellow birding ausers.

         Peace and great birding in 2000

              Russ Lamb, Maleny