birding-aus

birding-aus 1999 highlights

Subject: birding-aus 1999 highlights
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 08:13:57 +1100
It's a good thread....

As I'm one of those fundamentalists who believes that th enew
century/millenium doesn;t begin until 1st Jan 2001, I have plenty of time
to think about my highlights of the century.

However in 1999 my highlights were:

1. a Carpentarian Grasswren, Painted Finches, Spinfex Pigeons and
'Cloncurry Ringnecks', at the Lady Loretoo Mine site nr Mt Isa in April;

2. a few days later, finding Hall's Babblers near Cunnamulla by the
expedient of stopping along the road at a good patch of mulga and walking
in?and there they were! (if I did that a thousand times more I'd never find
them again);

3. The July Wollongong, which, though it was very, very rough, had some
birds to die for, including a beautiful, immaculate Buller's Albatross;

4. But perhaps the best of all was the wet spring in mid-western NSW, and
the great abundance of birds and the opportunity to see what the area I
have lived in for the last six (dry) years is like in a wet season?for
example over 200 Superb Parrots seen on a car-journey through their
territory in the Yass-Harden-Temora area, the great abundance of cuckoos of
various kinds (pity I didn't get more time to go out and bird).

Happy Xmas and New Year everyone.

John Leonard

quotes)