birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Swarovski Bins

To: David Siems <>,
Subject: Re: birding-aus Swarovski Bins
From: David James <>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:45:57 +1000
I had Zeiss 10X42 for 13 years from 1986. I guess they had a rough life, a
few tumbles and baths. They fogged up seriously in snow. The focus ring was
full of sand and very stiff and jerky. the coatings were pretty scratched.
David Eades dubbed them the "fog masters" back in '92. I loved them when
new but soon realised they gave a really 2 dimensional image that was never
razor sharp, and the colours were dulled. Optically they were not excellent
even when new. I upgraded to a brilliant pair of leica 10X42  last April
which will probably also have a hard life. But for now, there's no
comparison!

At 07:54 9/12/99 +1100, David Siems wrote:
> Hi Netters,
>            For those raving about their Swarovski bins, read the following:-
>            (1) A friend had the focusing ring jam on his 10 by 42 and sent
>them to Melbourne to be repaired under warrenty. He was informed they were
>sent to Austria to be repaired. When they were returned after 2 months he
>was asked to pay $400 because as far as they were concerned "he had dropped
>them to cause the damage". He assured them he had not dropped the bins. They
>said $400 or no bins. He told them to keep them.
>             (2) Another friend, when I was birding in Ecuador with him in
>the Amazon in high himidity, one lens was fogged for the five days during
>the trip.
>             I have had my Zeiss 10 by 42 for ten years and birded in all
>conditions with no problems. I do not work for Zeiss. It is just nice to
>have all the info before buying bins.

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre,