birding-aus

birding-aus Maria Island and Swift Parrots

Subject: birding-aus Maria Island and Swift Parrots
From: Simon Kennedy <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:24:16 +1100

Hi all,

I came back from Maria Island which is off the East of Tasmania yesterday.
I am studying Swift Parrots in eastern Tasmania for three months.  The
Swift Parrot Recovery Program is putting a populaiton monitoring system in
place to monitor long-term trends.

At Maria I found:
My first Swift Parrot nest!  I have been studying swifties in their
non-breeding grounds on the mainland for two years, but have never seen
them breeding.

A Forty-spotted Pardalote nest!  This Tassie endemic has a large population
on Maria, and this population is secure as Maria is all a National Park.
We got excellent views of the pair ferrying food back to the little hollow,
only 5m from the ground.

Swift Parrot counters:  A newsletter with the results of all the counts
from the first survey in August 1995 and some info from the Tasmanian Swift
Parrot Recovery Effort will come your way by the end of the year.

Simon Kennedy

quotes)