birding-aus

birding-aus A few hours birding in sw Victoria

Subject: birding-aus A few hours birding in sw Victoria
From: "Steve Clark"<>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:48:56 +1000
G'day all

Despite the miserable weather yesterday afternoon I ventured out for a few
hours to the Grampians and briefly to Lake Linlithgow.  My favourite spot
in the Grampians is a few km north of Dunkeld and over the years it has
produced many excellent birds.  Yesterday most of the regulars were
present.  Most pleasing were sightings of Southern Emu-wrens and Rainbow
Bee-eaters.  Both used to be regularly seen but not for many years now.
The last Emu-wren I saw was in 1991 just before much of the heathland was
burnt.  Other highlights were a flock of about 30 Gang-gangs, a single
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater and nesting Grey Currawongs.

On the way home I stopped briefly at Lake Linlithgow (15k east of
Hamilton).  I hadn't visited the lake since autumn and it is now as dry as
I've ever seen it.  The weather was rather bleak so I didn't linger but
there were more birds here than I have seen for years.  Mostly assorted
ducks (Grey Teal, Pink-eared Duck and Australian Shelduck).  Also present
were hundreds of Avocets and a handful of Banded Stilts, quite a few
Whiskered Terns and unidentified waders.

I will try to get back next weekend to do a proper survey.  In the mean
time the lake is well worth a visit at present.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, Australia 3300
ph 0355 719 048

www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm