birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Little Grebe (Eurasian)

To: Tony Palliser <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Little Grebe (Eurasian)
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:32:19 +1000
At 10:33 PM 11/2/99 +1100, you wrote:
>Peter,
>That would be a staggering record in fact only the 2nd for Australia.  If
>you are certain may I suggest you announce it to birding-aus and place a
>submission before BARC?  Is there any chance that it or they are still
>there?  I assume that you have ruled out any possibility of Australasian
>Little Grebe?
>
>All the best
>Tony
>

>At 11/2/99 +1000, you wrote:
>>Hi Tony,
>>         Just read your email about adding the Little Grebe (Eurasian) to
your
>>rarites page. I had a look and confirmed it was the same as the pair I saw
>>at a Hervey Bay Caravan Park in mid Sept.1999.
>>         I did not think it was a rare spieces. My kids thought they were
baby
>>ducklings.
>>Cheers,
>>Peter.
>

>Hi Tony,
>       I checked my notes and the 'Slater Field Guide to AUSTRALIAN BIRDS'
> again
and it was definitely a pair of Little Grebe (Eurasian). I had noted they
had  dark brown eyes that was different to the yellow eye of the
Australasian Grebe. It also had the broad chestnut patch on the side of the
head and neck.
        They were seen at the Fraser Lodge Caravan Park in Hervey Bay on the 8th
September 1999. You go through the front gate and travel down towards the
back of the park and they were in the small Creek/lake on the right of the
bridge over the creek.
 Did anybody else see them? They appeared on the morning of the 8th
September after very heavy rain  the previous night.

Cheers,
        Peter.

Peter Pfeiffer
Technical Officer