birding-aus

birding-aus A saucer full of questions

Subject: birding-aus A saucer full of questions
From: Dave Sargeant <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:31:01 +0400
Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted a mix of questions for our upcoming trip to
Aus. Many thanks to all those who replied. This resulted in a few
changes to our itinerary.

A few questions remain and I hope someone can comment on any of the
following:

1. Is Lewin's Rail still reliable at Dharug? Where's currently the best
site in/around Sydney?
2. Glossy Black Cockatoo at Dharug. Best area there to look?
3. Rufous Night Heron in Sydney area?
4. Is Royal NP still worth visiting given what I read about fire damage
in recent past?
5. Inland Dotterel in NSW or Victoria?
6. Specific details on the current accessibility and possibility to see
Masked Owl on Tasmania. Is Pittwater Road still the site?
7. Any suggestions for best birder?s accommodation at Cradle Mountain
(reasonable price for basic clean accommodation).
8. Driving time from Cradle Mountain to Hobart.
9. Leeton Swamp and Griffith Sewage Farm.  Are both these places
currently worth visiting? Water levels? Here we are interested in
Freckled Duc, Red-kneed Dotterel, Spotless Crake, Red-necked Avocet. Do
either of these sites have access difficulties currently?

All comments gratefully received.

Dave Sargeant
Muscat
Oman