birding-aus

Re: birding-aus to tick or not to tick

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus to tick or not to tick
From: "Chris Harrison" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:51:43 -0500
I am a birder in the cooler months and a herpetologist when the warmer
weather comes around.  I happen to have a herp list as well as a bird list.
The herp list includes many species that were only identified as roadkills.
However, I don't include birds that are hit.  I was tempted once, however,
to count a Mountain Bluebird (I live in the USA obviously) that flew in
front of my car and was turned into a roadkill due to unavoidable
circumstances.  After all, I did see it alive for a few milliseconds!  But
my ID was only confirmed post-mortem.  Its a tricky game!

What about banding birds with mist nets?  Do you count those species you
find tangled in your nets?  Can you release them, watch where they fly, look
at them with binocs and then add them to the list?

Its supposed to be fun!

I happen to have a list of snake species I have identified on the TV, and I
know people who have a similar bird sighting, and even bird call lists!  Why
not?

Chris Harrison
San Angelo, TX
USA