birding-aus

birding-aus Golden-Headed Cisticola

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Golden-Headed Cisticola
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:26:46 +0930
On Saturday last I watched a group of Golden-Headed Cisticola displaying near the northern shore of Lake Alexandrina (20 km South of Murray Bridge in SA)

This is the first time that I have been able to watch them for an extended period of time (about 30 minutes.) The males were stunningly coloured in the bright sunshine.

Are these birds stir-crazy or what????

Their antics as they soar high into the air and then  dive kamikaze style towards the earth zipping crazily to and fro before a death defying plunge into the nearest bush is quite unlike anything I have seen amongst out birds. And that buzzing as they fly! At first I thought I was seeing some overgrown beetle!

Quite something!

Happy birding everyone.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge