birding-aus

birding-aus Birding-aus Butcherbird predation

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Birding-aus Butcherbird predation
From: "Terrance Pacey" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:22:02 +1000
Earlier in the week, Laurie Knight asked about Butcherbirds and the size of
their prey.  I sat back and waited to see if anyone replied through
birding-aus.  No sign of a response so I'll put my bit in.

In early 1991, I observed a pair of Red-rumped Parrots fly into a hollow in
a dead tree about 50 metres away.  One parrot left almost immediately.  A
Pied Butcher suddenly appeared and flew straight into the hollow.  After a
while it appeared with something in its beak, sat on the branch for a while
and then flew off.  I watched to see if the parrot came out but after half
an hour or so, gave up.  I walked to the base of the tree and found a large
number of feathers from a fully grown Red-rumped.

I can not say with 100% certainty that the Butcherbird had taken the parrot
but I have always been convinced that that is what happened.  A very large
prey for a Butcherbird.  Maybe he was very hungry.

Terry Pacey
Toowoomba Qld

quotes)