birding-aus

birding-aus SEQ Observations

Subject: birding-aus SEQ Observations
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:16:05 +1000
Here are few observations of the goings on around Mt Gravatt in SEQ.

The old man turkey with a mound on my back fence has been having a very
productive month, with egg laying visitors every couple of days.  The
other day Lord Jim [as I have decided to call him, in honour of the
local lord mayor he so closely resembles - black robes and gold chains]
again had 2 visitors scratching away on his mound.  Sometimes Lord Jim
is fairly casual with his visitors, but this time he was pretty worked
up and dashing around both visitors.  Come mid afternoon, Lord Jim likes
to preside over his chamber by roosting on the fence, somewhat like an
oversized pigeon.

On my morning rounds through Toohey Forest, I managed to spot a couple
of E whipbirds in the lantana between the biketrack and the creek near
the entrance of Griffith Uni.  I can't remember seeing whipbirds there
before.  Anyhow when I did my weak sounding "whip call", they came
scurrying over to check me out, making a churring noise, somewhat like a
worked up butcherbird.  The interesting thing about whipbirds is that
you don't have to be too convincing to get them to respond - I once had
a female [at Bombana NP - Mt Nebo] respond to one of my calls.

I saw a dollarbird sitting quietly on the Nathan - Toohey Mt cycle track
and a pair of c mynahs in a tree near the Toohey Ridge track - they
would have been at least 100m from a residential area, which surprised
me as I was under the impression they preferred open grassy areas to
woodlands / forests.  Perhaps they are acclimatising.

Heading back to Mt Gravatt, I saw both forest and sacred kingfishers.

While I remember, I was doing a walk round the Ballow region a couple of
weeks ago [with my wife and a friend].  We came across a very big
collection of satin bowerbirds around Yamahra Ck - just downstream from
Graces Hut [all sorts of for sale signs up if anyone is interested].
Half a dozen bowerbirds would fly across the creek, followed shortly
after by another half dozen, followed by a dozen, then another half
dozen.  Definitely 20-30 in the group.  Is this apostlebird-like
congregating common in satin bowerbirds?

Regards, Laurie.

quotes)