birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Pelagics

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Pelagics
From: "S Cooney" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:35:43 +1000
I thought I might have a say from the point of view of a new birder on his
first trip out to sea.

I had a ball.  I wasn't even conscientious enough to swot up on the books
before we went.  I had a bit of a look through Pizzey, but that was it.

When we got out there, I was sea-sick for some of the time (actually each
time I went into the bulkhead, a tip for new players) but then I just threw
up with as much dignity as I could muster and got on with the photography.
It didn't ruin the experience, though perhaps I was a bit lucky.

I didn't really know any of the bird once we got beyond the Australasian
Gannets and the Silver Gulls, and I didn't expect to remember them all (I
didn't even tick them all), but I did expect to sort out the albatrosses,
and I did, and I learnt the differences between the shearwaters and the
storm-petrels and next time I go I'll be ready to learn a few more birds.
I did ask lots of questions, a couple of times in some instances if I
forgot the answer amongst the excitement and as far as I can remember
always got polite answers, so I would encourage people to get involved and
ask!

I got about 25 ticks on my trip and will definitely go again it felt like I
had come of age as a bird watcher, moving from boyhood to manhood out on
the terrible sea's in the search for more ticks, a trial of endurance! ( I
was really tired on my return to shore).  Next time I go I might be able to
explain the difference between a Buller's and a Black-browed to another
novice sea-birder.

I can't wait,

Stuart

Stuart Cooney