birding-aus

birding-aus Pelagics

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Pelagics
From: "Chris Padley" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:10:28 +0100
Hi all,
        I feel that with all the criticism thrown at the birders on the
pelagic I must have my say. My wife & I with two other Pom. friends booked
on the February Wollongong Pelagic via e:mail to Tony & Pete. They responded
immediately to confirm the booking and sent us information on where to find
the Sandra K , what to wear , how to avoid travel sickness, advice on what
to eat etc. We  asked what species we could reasonably expect to see &
received helpful lists and also the web page address so that we could access
any relevant trip report that we wanted.We did a lot of homework - there is
no point going on these trips unless you do.
        On getting on the boat Tony made us most welcome & introduced us to
the other birders that were around us. All took time to help us to get on to
the different species. I had difficulty with Great - winged Petrel and had
several pointed out to me and the diagnostic features shown until I was sure
of what I was looking at. It must have been unbelievable to these birders
that I couldn't get on to this bird but by the time they had finished I had
no problems. They were (are ) a great bunch of birders. For all 4 of us it
was the highlight of our Aus trip.
        I think it is great that these people put themselves out to organise
these pelagics - after all many of them have seen most of the species
hundreds of times - yet they still are prepared to go out in what are often
poor weather conditions. I am sure that there are times when they would
rather stay at home. If you are not prepared to do your homework and need a
nursemaid don't go on these trips .
        Thanks folks - keep up the good work. I am green with envy!!!

                                                       Cheers,
                                                        Chris Padley
Chris & Helen Padley
The Old Bakehouse,