birding-aus

Fw: birding-aus RFI:Cyanoramphus malherbi

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: birding-aus RFI:Cyanoramphus malherbi
From: "Ross Silcock" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:56:42 -0500
birding-ausers:
Sorry I wasn't accurate regarding Orange-fronted Parakeets (so-called
Cyanoramphus malherbi). They have been shown in fact to be colour morphs of
Yellow-fronted Parakeet (C. auriceps) rather than hybrids between it and
Red-crowned Parakeet, C. novaezelandiae (as I earlier stated while at work,
guessing). The inheritance of the colour traits is Mendelian, however (I
wasn't totally off my rocker!).The paper is in Notornis Vol 33:17-22 (1986)
Taylor, R.H., E.G. Heatherbell, and E.M. Heatherbell.
Ross

Ross Silcock
Tabor, IA

New Zealand Land and Pelagic Trips. Next: Nov 1999