birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Fenthion Collinsville Bird Deaths

To: jon wren <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Fenthion Collinsville Bird Deaths
From: "M. Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:43:16 +1000
jon wren wrote:

> Having trouble getting this info posted as I did it previously with
> attachments and always too big for acceptance. Typing skills not the best so
> here goes....
> Council has released this information in the hope that public knowledge
> regarding the use of fenthion containing products is heightened in an effort
> to prevent more bird deaths.....
> Enquiries may be directed to council health and environmental
> services section on 07 4786 0633.
> * Jon Gibbons is Bowen Shire Council Director of Health and Environmental
> Services.
>
> As far as I am aware the suspect has not been charged to date. These bird
> deaths continue, now into its third month. When is enough, enough?
> Jon Wren
> PO Box 868
> Bowen (Climate Capital of Australia)
> Queensland
> Australia 4805
> Phone 07 4786 2614H
> Mobile 0412 789 285  email:

> quotes)
Council have, no doubt, released the information in the hope of
preventing misuse of the chemical, but, given that there is a lack of
will to prosecute in these cases, it is just a likely that some fool
will use the information to destroy birds.  The message that will be
read, in some quarters, as a consequence of this lack of action is
"poison away, no one will do anything to stop you".  We must demand that
the appropriate authorities enforce the environmental laws we have,
otherwise their enactment can actually be counterproductive.
--
"Beware of Half-truths... you may have the wrong half"

M. Scott O'Keeffe
Centre for Conservation Biology
University of Queensland