birding-aus

birding-aus RE: Two things:Gluepot and NZ

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus RE: Two things:Gluepot and NZ
From: "Ross Silcock" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:37:01 -0500
John:
There is an interesting web site about Kakapo at
<http://www.kakapo.net/en/update.html>
Latest info from the 1999 season is that there are 22 females and 34 males
alive, plus 3 young from the 1999 season. Located on 6 offshore islands.
No known natural population. However 13 of the 20 adult females are known
to have laid fertile eggs since 1980.
Little Barrier: All birds are destined to be removed, as management of
breeding females is difficult there (terrain, size of island). Currently 5
males and 1 fem remain.
Maud (Marlborough Sounds): 6 males 8 females. 3 chicks raised in 1998.
Nukuwaiata (=Inner Chetwode Island) (Marlborough Sounds): 3 males.
Whenua Hou (=Codfish Island) (off west coast Stewart Island): 1 male. All
others removed in 1998 to avoid problems from poisoning for rats. These 26
birds are to be returned to Codfish mid-1999.
Pearl I (off Stewart I): 26 birds from Codfish which will be returned.
There had been 4 birds, males of dubious fertility, on Pearl; these were
moved to Anchorage Island when the 26 Codfish birds arrived and will be
returned to Pearl  The Pearl birds are rather active reproductively.
Anchorage I: 6 males of doubtful fertility.
Hope this helps!
Ross Silcock
Tabor, IA

NZ Land and Pelagic Trips: Next, Nov 99