birding-aus

birding-aus Cornwall Pelagic

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Cornwall Pelagic
From: Philip M Hansbro <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:02:38 +0100 (BST)
Well I'm sick of reading about all of your amazing pelagics so I'm sending
you the results of one that I went on on Sunday.

Set off at 5.00am returned at 10.00pm went out about 70 nautical miles SW
of Cornwall to "Wilson's Triangle" at 12 knots. Wind was force 40 and
there was a 2M swell so quite calm.

Those aboard: Me and 300  other people.

The Birds

BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS 1 stage 4-5
British Storm-Petrel 50+
WILSON'S STORM-PETREL 3+
Great Shearwater 80+
Cory's Shearwater 15+
Manx Shearwater 10+
Sooty Shearwater 1
Northern Fulmar 100+
Northern Gannet 200+
Herring Gull 30+ (+100+ in the harbour)
Lesser Black-backed Gull 30+
Great Black-backed Gull 50+ in the harbour
Black-headed Gull 10+ (+50 + 30+ in the harbour)
Sabine's Gull 4+ adults in Sum plum
Black-legged Kittiwake 10
Great Cormorant 2
Whimbrel 1

Long-finned Pilot Whale 2
Bottle-nosed Dolphin 3
Sunfish 2
Tuna sp 1

Hope you're as gripped as I have been by you lot lately.

The trip goes once a year contact the Isles of Scilly steamship company

Cheers
Phil.

Dr Phil Hansbro          I      Tel: (h) 01223 511375
Dept of Pathology        I           (w) 01223 333545
Tennis Court Road        I
Cambridge University     I      Fax:     01223 766145
Cambridge CB2 1QP        I
UK                       I      Email: