birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Crested Pigeons and Spotted Turtle-doves

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Crested Pigeons and Spotted Turtle-doves
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 10:50:24 +1000
At 09:13 17/08/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>As for the theory that Crested Pigeons might drive out Spotted
>Turtle-doves, I seem to remember that both were common in Brisbane: the CPs
>stuck to open areas (like sports ovals) with native vegetation nearby, and
>the STDs stuck to gardens and more vegetated places, often amongst exotic
>bushes and trees.
>
>Well, that's hwat I remember anyway.
>

>John Leonard

John

My feeling is that the Crested Pigeon is moving steadily into the
suburban areas of Brisbane.  Certainly it used to be the case that
the Crested were mainly found in the open fields, sports grounds, etc
but just yesterday I counted 7 on electricity wires just outside
a house in the midst of suburbia.

I'm currently running a Garden Bird Survey through the QOSI as a
follow-up to one done 20 years ago. Hopefully this will provide
some data (to confirm or deny) these impressions.  A very rough
tally of records coming in over the past month indicates that the
two species are just about equal in the frequency of reporting,
with many gardens now having both species.

Yours

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.  Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

quotes)