birding-aus

Re: birding-aus SEQ Notes

Subject: Re: birding-aus SEQ Notes
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:24:03 +1000
Trevor Ford wrote:

>Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island, is full to the brim (you almost need to swim
>to get to the hide) and has a large concentration of duck.  Species
>yesterday, 30/7, included Musk Duck (one female) and Aus. Shoveler (one
>male, one female - and they were together) which are both unusual species
>for Bribie.

Good timing Trevor, and thanks. I'm just off to an Italian lunch on Bribie
via Buckley's.

>Today, 31/7, my local wader roost held some 20 Double-banded Plovers, most
>of them in full breeding plumage, and Eastern Curlew numbers had already
>increased to 344.

Yesterday was a corker of a day out on the Pumicestone Passage. The
Glasshouse Mountains behind Tripcony Bight, still as a millpond under a
huge blue sky, was a sight to remember. It was a good-to-be-alive day.

I picked up about 1100 Black-winged Stilts on various high tide roosts -
Rob King & I covered 7 roosts yesterday. Few waders, but on the sandspit
just south of Thooloora Is I picked up 113 Grey-tailed Tattler, 22 Eastern
Curlew, 236 godwit. The godwit were too distant to pick up any blacktails
among them.

The Mission Point roost was deserted, because it was crawling with boats,
dogs and people. The Poverty Creek Roost main section was also deserted,
because of an illegal camper right at the roost. It would have required
cutting a fence to gain access to the spot. Birds have no rights in the
Passage.

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld