birding-aus

birding-aus Pteridifolia Terrorist

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: birding-aus Pteridifolia Terrorist
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:14:48 +1000
Beerwah, Sunshine Coast, Queensland

A Noisy Friarbird arrived in our small acreage garden a week ago. We only
see this species as an odd bird on migration. He - seems to have a surfeit
of testosterone - well, OK...... IT... took up position in our 10m
Grevillea pteridifolias, which are currently in blossom.

We have noticed a good many battles taking place in these trees since that
day. Normally our resident Noisy Miners are the aggressors in any battle,
but the tables are now turned. This Noisy Friarbird is more than a match
for a pack of petulant Miners. Whenever they gang up, the Friarbird sweeps
them aside as if they are carpet droppings. As I write a group of 5 Miners
is having another go at the Friarbird. Single Miners are aggressively
hounded out of the trees all day long. I have watched a group of Miners
sitting sullenly on the sidelines watching the Friarbird dine on their
blossoms. It's all a bit heart-rending on the one hand, but also a delight
to see Miners getting their comeuppance. The Friarbird is defending a
territory about 30-40m long by 10m wide.

Meanwhile the usual Rainbow Lorikeets, Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and the odd
King Parrot feed in the tree with impunity, not even acknowledged by the
Friarbird.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening