birding-aus

birding-aus Please could we be positive about our "P's" and "Q's"

To: Tony Russell <>, All <>
Subject: birding-aus Please could we be positive about our "P's" and "Q's"
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 05:17:27 -0400 (EDT)
Tony Russell <> wrote:

Hi Birders,
This message is not exclusively for Pat O'Malley
but he may take note. With some friends I recently spent a day at the
Stirling Ranges Retreat where, amongst many other WA birds there were
hundreds and hundreds of Purple-crowned Lorikeets ( how are you going
Pat?). Anyone going birding in WA should include this place on their
itinerary, not for the PCLs, which are in pest numbers,

I'd like to hop in here on this statement from Tony !
it is not PCL's or any other bird that is in pest numbers? in fact it
is us. We humans at midnight on December 31st., this year reach a
figure never before seen on this planet ( we are told ) 6 billion, and
every ten years after that the United Nations expects to add 1 billion
more to the world's population. Think of the drain on the finite
resources alone let alone the infrastructure needed to cope with this.
Perhaps soon we will hear little Johnny will say to little Mary my Dad
remembers what trees look like, with a reply from Mary of my nanny
remembers birds.

Tony continues

but for the excellent birding to be had there and thereabouts
throughout the ranges. Incidentally, if anyone knows the email address
of the retreat I would
appreciate the info. The above was part of a four week trip into WA
during which all endemics were sighted.

Then you are indeed a lucky man Tony, for close your eyes for a short
while, and it will soon be humans all over the place. PLEASE could you
refrain from using words such as pest ( replace with large ) and change
plague to viral would be much much better. Just wondering who was here
first ? MAN, homo sapien, or BIRD ? or perhaps greed and population
explosion beat them both.

Anyone needing info please ask by return.

Cheers. Tony.
Tony Russell,
45, Ridgefield Ave.,
Paradise.
Adelaide, South Australia
Ph:  08 8337 5959
Tony I apologise in advance:

Sorry but I'm so sad because of Maree Tea hen here and What a Klotz
(deliberate mispell) poison them, shoot them, electrocute them, drown
them, wonder if any Pollies have ever tested the humane methods used ?
Humane ? what a joke!. We murder them because they upset a few. Rob a
smaller few of large monetary gain. Perhaps some thought should be
given to greater safeguarding of the very valuable property they
consume? in essence alcohol? do we not lock our cars at night or garage
them?

Enough !

JOHN A. GAMBLIN