birding-aus

birding-aus Migration of noisy friarbirds

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Migration of noisy friarbirds
From: "Johnson, Fiona" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:59:44 +1000
Dear Birding-Aussers

Could someone please help with my birding education.  A simple question -
I'm often amazed at how little I actually know!

Last weekend I did my quarterly survey (for the Atlas project) of a rural
property between Boorowa and Cowra in the South West Slopes and Plains of
NSW.

Noisy friarbirds are usually what I would call abundant on this property,
but last weekend they appeared to be super-abundant.  There were some
ironbark in flower but by no means all, and there appeared to be little else
flowering.

My question is:  Do birds that leave a colder place in winter, like
Canberra, travel just far enough north to reach a place that is bearable and
thus saturate a place at the limit of the really cold, or is it more likely
that the flowering ironbark had attracted them 'from near and far'?  The
second bit of this is:  do all noisy friarbirds move in winter or only those
in unfriendly climates?

Thanks for your help.  Oh.  Saw a pair of Hooded Robins too.  That's the
first time I've seen them on this property so I was pretty thrilled.

Fiona Johnson

quotes)