birding-aus

birding-aus Nathan Road

Subject: birding-aus Nathan Road
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:58:14 +1000
Richard III definitely had it wrong when he associated winter with the hour
of discontent.  I've just returned from an hour's birding at Nathan Road
(Redcliffe, 35km NNE of Brisbane) on what can only be described as a
beautiful winter's morning.  I'm sure Julie Moore would agree.  And far from
discontentment we came across 37 (Julie had 38) species, including the gem
(for me at least) of Shining Brone-Cuckoo a mere three meters from us.  Magic!

The list:

Australasian Grebe
Little Black Cormorant
Little Pied Cormorant
White-faced Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Glossy Ibis (30+)
Pacific Black Duck
Chestnut Teal
Grey Teal
Pink-eared Duck (2)
Australian Wood Duck
Whistling Kite
Swamp Harrier
Eastern Swamphen
Coot
Masked Lapwing
Black-headed Stilt
Crested Pigeon
Pale-headed Rosella
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
Forest Kingfisher
Richard's Pipit
Golden-headed Cisticola
Red-backed Fairy-wren
Grey Fantail
Willie Wagtail
Mistletoebird
Silvereye
Brown Honeyeater
Magpie-lark
Pied Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Torresian Crow
Spotted Turtle-Dove

Incidently, technically speaking, it was not Richard III who made the famous
"Now is the winter of our discontent" speech.  He was at the time only the
Duke of Gloster and still a few murders away from the throne.  Now I bet
that last remark will upset a few White Boarers.

Julian

quotes)