birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Whipbird's reflection

To: Jill Dening <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Whipbird's reflection
From: James Davis <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:52:37 +1000 (EST)
Jill:

Indeed, fascinating and worthwhile observations. ... before you close off
the mirror as suggested  ... you mentioned in your e-mail that one bird
sits close to the window and ... (see comments below)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jill Dening wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Fascinating.........our two Eastern Whipbirds have discovered a small
> closed window in our garage. They have not ventured quite this close to the
> house until yesterday. Their first encounter with their own reflection was
> aggressive. Lots of calling, both whipcrack and choo-choo, and lots of
> flying at the reflection. I have only seen one at a time flying at the
> glass, but both are in there boots and all.
>
> Today there is a calmer attitude, but just as much interest. One of them
> has been getting into as close a position as the branches of the grevillea
> will allow, and chortling to its image, interspersed with whipcracks and
> choo-choos.

Are you saying that the same bird (not plural) whipcracks and choo-choos?

> If only I had more time to watch them. This duo (I hesitate to say pair)
> arrived here on December 26 as immatures, and now one bears full adult
> plumage, whilst the other still bears a trace of remnant immature plumage.
> I should be able to tell the difference in sexes by size difference, but
> they won't sit still together for long enough to see if there is a
> discernible difference.

Unfortunately, I am not sure you can tell the sex by a difference in
body size. Keep watching though ... I am very interested in your opinion
concerning which sex whipcracks, etc.

Have you noticed if any thing funny happens when a bird cracks the
whip?  Especially when it is sitting on a branch as oppose sitting on the
ground.

Cheers, Jim

P.S. Thanks for the renewal ... I am working on cleaning up all the typos
and grammer mistakes in backissues before posting them on the web.

> Jill
>
> Jill Dening
> Sunshine Coast, Qld
>
> 26º 51'       152º 56'
>

> To unsubscribe from this list, please send a message to
>
> Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the
> quotes)

quotes)