birding-aus

Form of birding-aus messages

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Form of birding-aus messages
From: Hal Wootten <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 17:03:50 +1000
Some questions on the form of birding-aus messages. Why do some messages
come with an attachment which, when opened, is found to be simply a copy of
the message itself?  This would appear to be a complete waste of everyone's
time, the sender's as well as the recipients'.

Other messages consist only of an attachment which presumably could have
been sent as the body of the e-mail, and then would not have had to be
opened.  Conceivably the practice may save the sender some time, but only
at the cost of the time of very recipient who wants to find out what it is
about.

Perhaps I am missing something - I know little about the technology.
 However there are so many messages on birding-aus that it is worth
considering anything that saves time in deciding whether one wants to open
an attachment, or even bring up the full text of, and read, a message.

On the latter point, my e-mail processing program (Microsoft Outlook) shows
the first two or three lines of a newly received e-mail, but not the
subject.  I am always grateful to those who include in the first line or
two of the message a clear indication of the subject-matter.

Hal Wootten

quotes)