birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Locality Field Guides RFI

Subject: Re: birding-aus Locality Field Guides RFI
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 12:05:54 +0800
Ros Laundon asked for information about these for QOSI.  I have replied to
the list as I think it is of interest to many people.  I certainly would
like to hear of other regional guides.

I can highly recommend  the following :

van Delft, Ron & Birds Australia WA Group (1997), Birding Sites Around
Perth, University of Western Australia Press, Second (Revised) Edition

There are similar books for Sydney, and Jo Wienecke has published a book
for Townsville, and there is a book for the Northern Territory.  There is
also an excellent book for Lord Howe Island.  Lloyd Nielsen's book on the
Cairns area is another must.  Sorry that I don't have full references for
each of these.

The following may be too specific a locality.  I can get a contact for
Perry if anyone is interested, or it can be purchased from the Birds
Australia WA Group office.

Saunders, Denis & de Rebeira, Perry (1985), The Birdlife of Rottnest
Island, privately published (second edition available)

The Birds Australia WA Group has published a series of country brochures
for 30 to 40 shires in WA.  These are mostly single A4 sheets printed
double-sided.  These are free from the WA Group headquarters near Perry
Lakes, although I recommend leaving a donation.  I would highly recommend a
full set of these that members can photocopy before they travel to WA.

quotes)