birding-aus

FW: birding-aus [Fwd: NEWCASTLE DISEASE UPDATE]

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: FW: birding-aus [Fwd: NEWCASTLE DISEASE UPDATE]
From: "Mulholland, Ross JR" <>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:02:56 +1000
Furhter on this problem, the Newcastle Disease Update bulletin of 8th May
states that "Wild Birds-Free flying birds on all commercial properties in the
Restricted Area will be destroyed with a humane tranquilising agent".
I have been informed by the NSW Agriculture information line that this involves
the placement of treated seed aimed mainly at flocking birds (Starlings,Mynas
and Sparrows) as these are the free species most likely to spread the disease.
Birds captured are being tested and to date no carriers have been detected
amongst free flying birds.
On the issue of the destruction of aviary birds, I have been told that attempts
have been made by some people to smuggle aviary birds out of the Restricted
Area, thereby threatening other domestic and possibly wild populations.

EOM

NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the
addressee named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you
must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have
received this message in error please notify The Broken Hill Proprietary
Company Limited immediately via

quotes)