birding-aus

birding-aus Magic Moments

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Magic Moments
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 19:48:40 +0930
Every so often one experiences a magic moment in birdwatching. I had one of those this afternoon.

For over 14 years I have kept a monthly record of the bird species seen on or flying over our 2 hectare (5acre) block on the western edge of Murray Bridge (80 km SE of Adelaide). Until this afternoon the total stood at 95 species.

In a ten minute period this afternoon I added 3 species to this list:

Golden Whistler (male and female)
Flame Robin
Inland Thornbill

While these species are widely distributed in this area, none is really common.

I also saw several Chestnut Rumped Thornbills, a species not seen often on our home patch.

Oh for more Magic Moments like this.

Now for the magic 100 at home!!!

Happy birding.

Trevor Hampel