birding-aus

birding-aus where to see many birds?

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus where to see many birds?
From: "alan shlosberg" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:54:36 +0300
Earlier this year, & in great anticipation to birding in Australia in September-
October, I posted a query regarding a field guide. I got many helpful replies
& now have my field guide. I was going to wait before asking again for help
to plan my trip, but as Lloyd Nielson asked about a book ('Where to Watch
Birds in Australasia and Oceana'  by Nigel Wheatley ) that I bought last
year, and on which I was to base my trip, it is now an opportune time to
ask the list once more for help.

Murray Lord  rightly differentiated in his posting quoted below between
overseas birders, such as I, who want to see as many as possible of your
beautiful & unique species, in a relatively short period, & with little or no
emphasis on hard-to-see or hard-to-find rarities. --" Like many other books
of its type it is clearly designed for the overseas visitor who wants to travel
around the whole country and have a shot at getting each native species in
a short period".

I shall be lucky in having about 14 days to bird, & want to see as much as
possible of the birds of Australia (I shall have some work to do too, & shall
neglect "tourism" completely). Would it be preferable to concentrate on
certain locations within a few hours driving ( I shall have a car) from several
towns to where I can fly (I have to visit at least Sydney & Brisbane for
work)?.

On thoroughly reading the Wheatley guide, I took the following locations to
be my best bet: -
 - base Sydney  - a. Royal National Park.  b. Glen Davis.   c. Dharug NP.
d. Pelagic trip.
 - base Melbourne - e. Deniliquin.  f. Werribee sewage works.
 - base Darwin - g. Around town. h. Kakadu NP.
 - base Brisbane  - i. Lamington NP.

Are these 9 places a good representative of habitats?
If people could be so considerate, I'd much appreciate getting a rating of
these places (1-10, i.e. a9, b4, c7....) + any not-to-miss sites that
Wheatley (& I) may have missed.
Wyperfeld NP? Hattah-Kulkyne NP? Bool lagoon? They all sound so good!

Many thanks in advance for what must be an oft-repeated chore.

All the best,

Alan
Alan Shlosberg
Moshav Bet Elazari