birding-aus

birding-aus The Great Killawarra Regent Hunt

Subject: birding-aus The Great Killawarra Regent Hunt
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:56:04 +1100
The first Great Killawarra Regent Hunt was conducted last weekend.
      Participants were Jim Blackney, Eileen Collins, Cathy Costello, David
      Geering, Anne & Ivan Goober, Glen Johnson (& offspring), Val Le May,
      Marjory Paul, Phillip Seely & Steven Tucker.  The aim of the weekend
      was to survey the forest, a major Mugga Ironbark forest north of
      Wangaratta, north-east Victoria, to help find some missing Regent
      Honeyeaters at a location identified in the past as a "hot-spot" for
      the species.  The last reports of Regent Honeyeaters at Killawarra
      was in 1996.

Weather was extremely kind to us with glorious warm sunshine and, being in
      the forest, frost-free nights (down to  minus 2 degrees in Wangaratta
      I believe).  The Mugga Ironbark was flowering, as was some Western
      Grey Box, and all looked set for an excellent weekend, which it was.
      The flowering had attracted more Little Friarbirds than I think I
      have ever seen in my life.  They were only outnumbered by Noisy
      Friarbirds.  There was nowhere in the forest that was not populated
      by chattering hoards of friarbirds.

Nevertheless, we soldered on and saw some nice birds.  Highlights were the
      number of Swift Parrots in the forest, at least 100 in the camp area
      alone.  They were scattered across most of the sites searched.  Also
      seen was a Gilberts Whistler, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill (near its
      range limit here?), Turquoise Parrot, Gang-gang Cockatoo, Speckled
      Warbler and quite a few Hooded Robin.  The latter actually could be
      described as reasonably common and easy to find in many parts of the
      forest.

Regent Honeyeaters?  Yes, we did manage to find them.  It was often like
      looking for a needle in a (very noisy) haystack but we did see one
      bird coming into a dam one afternoon and then saw a second in
      roadside vegetation on the other side of the forest the next morning.

The number of birds coming in to drink at dams was tremendous.  A couple of
      dams watched had literally hundreds of small honeyeaters coming in
      the bath and drink while others were dominated by friarbirds.  I
      recorded 29 species (including Regent Honeyeater) at and around "my"
      dam in two hours without leaving the spot where I was sitting.

Species seen in the Killawarra forest itself follow.  A further three
      species were seen along roadsides just outside the forest.  The next
      Great Killawarra Regent Hunt will be conducted on the long weekend,
      12-14 June.  Further details from me.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator

Killawarra State Forest   -   23/04 to 25/04/99

Brown Goshawk
Collared Sparrowhawk
Wedge-tailed Eagle
Painted Button-quail
Common Bronzewing
Crested Pigeon nest with eggs
Peaceful Dove
Gang-gang Cockatoo
Galah
Musk Lorikeet
Little Lorikeet
Purple-crowned Lorikeet
Swift Parrot
Australian King-parrot
Crimson Rosella
Eastern Rosella
Red-rumped Parrot
Turquoise Parrot
Southern Boobook
Laughing Kookaburra
White-throated Tree-creeper
Brown Tree-creeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Striated Pardalote
Speckled Warbler
Speckled Warbler
Weebill
Brown Thornbill
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill
Buff-rumped Thornbill
Yellow Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
Noisy Friarbird
Little Friarbird
Noisy Miner
Regent Honeyeater
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
White-eared Honeyeater
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater feeding newly fledged young
Fuscous Honeyeater
White-plumed Honeyeater
Black-chinned Honeyeater
Brown-headed Honeyeater