birding-aus

birding-aus Boxes for boobooks

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Boxes for boobooks
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:28:11 +1000
Hello Ros,

Sorry for this late reply - have been away for a few days.  I would
doubt that the Southern Boobook would make use of artificial nest
boxes.  I would be inclined to agree with Mascha that they would only
use natural hollows (hollow logs).  However, I would certainly try
natural hollows in suburban Brisbane, if you have Boobooks in the area
and if you can put the hollows up in a tree somewhere, although
Brushtail Possums may take them over.

Barn Owls would probably adapt more easily to artificial nest boxes
though I think many of the hollows erected in the cane fields were
natural logs/hollows (I should have been clearer on this point in my
original message). Habitat preference and diet of each species differ.
In the sugar-cane areas of N Qld, the three Tyto owls hunt out over the
open fields whereas the Southern Boobook is more of a forest bird.
There are a number of good short articles on owls/rodents/ rodenticides/
cane fields and so on including one by David James on Klerat the main
culprit in the demise of owls in this area, in 'Boobook' Vol 18, part 1
(journal of the Australasian Raptor Association  - Birds Australia).  If
you want a contact and address of a fellow in N Qld who is currently
experimenting with owl boxes/hollows, let me know.  He can probably help
you more than I can.  Could also be worth talking to the guys at DEH
(now Environmental Protection Agency ?) in Ingham.

Best wishes,

Lloyd Nielsen
Mt Molloy,
Nth Qld