birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Southern Boobook nest boxes ?

To: John Gamblin <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Southern Boobook nest boxes ?
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:51:39 +1000
At 02:24 21/04/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Faye Urquhart <> wrote:
>Dear John,
>With regard to your question "does or would a Southern Boobook utilise
>a bird box or nest box?".
>
>Answer - It is not likely, unless it was made from a
>hollow log, as this is their preferred home/nest.
>
>Regards,
>Mascha Uriot
>Keeper, Animal Care Section
>Healesville Sanctuary

John/Mascha

I can't remember the full details, but at a Qld Ornithological Society meeting
last year there was a talk on nest boxes, and an account of boobooks nesting in
a large plastic food bucket (? c. 20 litre).  This was put horizontally in a
tree
with half the lid removed.
There was a delightful photo of the young owlets peering over the edge.

Apparently these bins/buckets can be obtained from some of the fast food
outlets,
eg Hungry Jacks, etc. They are used for bulk qunatities of vegies.

Probably when natural hollows are in short supply the birds will use
whatever they
can.

Yours

Peter

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science & An. Prod.  Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

quotes)