birding-aus

birding-aus birds in plantings on farms

Subject: birding-aus birds in plantings on farms
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:46:54 +1100
I have already replied to Cilla but in response to Alan Stuart (the cynic -
strange you never struck me as such), the person featured was Alan Reid of
Glenburn, ~ 60 kilometres north-east of Melbourne.  Alan is president of
the Gould League.

The family property has been managed in a bird friendly manner with the
establishment of extensive corridors of vegetation.  Alan has been
monitoring these for years including a systematic bird-banding study of 30
years duration.  The farm is very different from "Lanark" featured in
wingspan as it adjoins existing forest on the hills.  The birds, therefore,
have an opportunity to recolonise from nearby forest.

I was out there in December as Alan had a pair of Regent Honeyeaters on the
property.  While there I found their nest, containing nestlings near
fledging, and colour-banded the adults.

There you go, it is happening in two places!  And hopefully in many more
places we never hear about.

David Geering

quotes)