birding-aus

Re: birding-aus juvenile or immature?

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus juvenile or immature?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:10:57 +1000
     Anne.

     The terms juvenile (more correctly juvenal) and immature have
     different meanings.

     Juvenal is the plumage that of a young bird that comes in immediately
     after, or succeeding, its natal down. The juvenal plumage is the first
     in the life of a bird that is composed of true contour feathers.
     Generaly juvenal plumage is the plumage that most (non precocial)
     birds leave the nest with.

     Immature plumage (or first year plumage in banding terms) is the
     plumage where some or all of the juvanal feathers have moulted,
     generally body or covert feathers, some species carry some juvinal
     feathers for up to 3 months. These Juveal feathers are good ageing
     characters. Technically a bird is immature when it looses its first
     juvinal feather.

     Regards
     Alan Leishman,
     Royal Botanic Gardens