birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Best place to spot lyrebirds in sydney area

Subject: Re: birding-aus Best place to spot lyrebirds in sydney area
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 03:36:19 PDT
Hi Sarah,

If you feel like a bit of a drive, there are many good places to see
Superb Lyrebirds in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

My first suggestion, if you are reasonably healthy, is to go down the
Golden Stairs off Narrow Neck at Katoomba and along the Federal Pass
(the walking track which follows the bottom of the cliffs around the
Jamison Valley) - it's shown on any decent map of Katoomba. If you go
around May-June-July, early in the morning before there are too many
tourists around and walk quietly I GUARANTEE you'll hear and almost
certainly see lyrebirds. Anywhere along the Federal Pass, all the way
to Leura Forest and in the other direction towards the Ruined Castle,
is good, as the lyrebirds there have become used to tourists and
bushwalkers and are relatively tame. I once had a female lyrebird
accompany me half the way back up the Golden Stairs, not at all
concerned by my presence and digging for food all the while. And if
you don't feel like the steep climb back out of the valley you can
catch the Scenic Railway.

Other good spots are at Evans Lookout near Blackheath, the Fairy
Bower/Coxs Cave walk at Mt Victoria, and the Glowworm Tunnel near
Newnes (drive through the Newnes Forest from Clarence). I could go on
and on with suggestions but most importantly I suggest you come
during early winter which is the peak time of courtship when the
males are singing and displaying.

Incidentally, a friend who lives at Woodford phoned to tell me that
"her" lyrebird was visiting her garden on the 10th April collecting
nest material (stringybark from the wood pile).

Good luck!
Carol.

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW