birding-aus

birding-aus Public Awareness

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Public Awareness
From: "Andrew Patrick" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:26:38 +1000
David Geering wrote:
>Increased public awareness, especially if accompanied by
>financial benefits bought in by birdwatchers, can make a real difference.

Along this same theme, the following are two letters published in the American BirdWatcher's Digest and both have interesting solutions.

"To the editor,
Now more than ever, the economic clout that we bird watchers wield in the communities near birding spots across the country is vital. We have seen many communities embrace birding and ecotourism, a viable, important, part of the local economy. Unfortunately, the dollars we spend in many communities are trifled at by chambers of commerce and other industries (especially those diametrically opposed to preserving healthy ecosystems). In order for many great birding sites to survive, we must stand up and be counted. So proudly wear your binoculars to dinner, ask hotels if they offer birders' specials and let people know you're in their place of business because of the rich natural resources in the area. Perhaps we need a bumper sticker or button proclaiming 'Watching Birds and Spending Money' or something to that effect. I'm afraid some of those uncrowded special places we all enjoy may be turned into housing developments or shopping malls. Doug Staller,North Dakota"

"To the editor,
In response to Doug Staller's letter....I enclose a sample of the San Antonio Audubon Society's 'calling card'. When I hand out this card, I usually say something like 'we want you to know that bird watchers were here today and spent money in your place'. I have to admit that I borrowed the idea from the New Jersey Audubon Society when I found their similar card at Norbury's Landing, New Jersey, where I had gone to see the springtime convergence of horseshoe crabs and birds along Delaware Bay. Georgina Schwartz, Texas."

      _-- _ |\          Andrew Patrick
     /      CBOC    Publicity Officer
     \_.---._ /         Cumberland Bird Observers' Club
                o         Sydney, (PO Box 550 Baulkham Hills 1755)
                           NSW, Australia