birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Magpie Attacks Red-capped Robin

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Magpie Attacks Red-capped Robin
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:07:56 +0800
When I wrote "2 hours SE of Perth", I was hanging out the bait, and I was
surprised that I only got 1 nibble :-)  Things are improving on birding-aus
...  Mind you, Philip's reply was 1st April, and so I didn't take it too
seriously ...

I prefer to express distances as 2 hours for many reasons, rather than
170km.  Depending where you are in Australia, 170km can take 1.5 to 3 or 4
hours to travel depending on hills, gravel roads, traffic, etc.  Although,
if I haven't any idea where it is, then I would need a map to find it in
the first place.  In any case, if people wanted to know more details then
they could refer to my web page for Dryandra (under development), or they
could send a request for more information.

Returning to birding issues, I mentioned interesting sightings, and then
forgot to add them at the end of the original message.  For the record, I
saw Fairy Martin (1 - uncommon in the SW), White-browed Babbler (4 - the
first I have seen for a while at Dryandra), Western Yellow Robin (1), Jacky
Winter (2), Painted Button-quail (1 & 2 & many platelets), Wedge-tailed
Eagle (1), Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo (1 heard - uncommon in the SW),
Blue-breasted Fairy-wren, Western Thornbill, Red-capped Parrot, Western
Spinebill, Rufous Treecreeper, Short-beaked Echidna (1 - my 2nd sighting),
etc plus juvenile / immature White-cheeked, Tawny-crowned, Yellow-plumed,
White-naped Honeyeaters.  Someone else saw two Crested Shrike-tit.

And the wet season has decided to make a late comeback at Argyle ...

Laurence & Leanne Knight <> on 06/04/99 15:43:58

Please respond to