birding-aus

birding-aus Progress report from the Back of Bourke.

Subject: birding-aus Progress report from the Back of Bourke.
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 22:01:54 +1000
Monday evening, 5th April, Royal Mail Hotel, Hungerford (just outside
Currawinya National Park, SW Queensland).
Highlights and notes from the first 4 days of a 10-day trip to SW Qld and
NW NSW:
A male Plains Wanderer!!  Literally stumbled across mid-morning yesterday
approx. 3.5km east of Eulo Bore.  (That makes it 3 states in which I have
seen Plains Wanderer - my only 3 sightings I should add.)
Three babbler species in less than 1 km just west of Eulo Bore -
Grey-crowned, Chestnut-crowned and Hall's.  (And I am told that all four
species are found in Currawinya.)
At least 5 different parties of Hall's Babbler around Eulo.  (Bordering on
common.)
Brief views (only) of Chestnut-breasted Quail-Thrush, in spite of
considerable effort directed towards finding this handsome species.
A glimpse of a small flock of Bourke's Parrots on the wing near Eulo Bore
(more effort for this species tomorrow here in Currawinya).
A White-breasted Sea-eagle at a small swamp 5kms south of Forbes, NSW.
A very large (100's of birds) mixed flock of Masked (predominant) and
White-browed Woodswallows, with small numbers of Budgerigars, south of Bourke.
No sign of either Bourke's Parrot or Flock Bronzewing at Eulo Bore at
either dusk or dawn - not really surprising in view of the water lying
around the entire region after several centimetres of rain on both Saturday
evening and last night (most of which fell on our tent near to the bore!!).
 Ah, early autumn in the less than dry interior!
Cheers.
Richard

From:    Dr Richard Nowotny,
             Melbourne, Australia.