birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Snipe

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Snipe
From: "Robert Berry" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:37:03 +1100
birding-aus

Hi All,

In trying to make sense of my (relatively few) Snipe sightings in North
West WA and NT I have wrestled with foot projection. In average light it is
hard to tell if you are seeing foot or tail disappearing into the distance.
However, since in all three Snipe that one expects to see in Aus, the
orangey-buff patch on the rump is very nearly terminal, if it appears to be
some distance up the back it can reasonably be assumed that this is due to
foot projection. This doesn't entirely solve the problem but maybe it
helps.

Rob

----------
> From: Chris Corben <>
> To: Birding-Aus (Forum) <>
> Subject: Re: birding-aus Snipe
> Date: Friday, 19 March 1999 7:35
>
> birding-aus
>
> Danny Rogers wrote:
>
> >In flight, the toes of Latham's Snipe do not trail beyond the tail
(except
> >very briefly during the take-off jump when the legs are extended to
> >full-stretch). The toes of Swinhoes trail just beyond the tail-tip, with
> the
>
> I forgot to mention this point. Actually, I've spent a lot of time
looking
> at Jap Snipes after my experience with Swinhoes (=Chinese) showed me that
> they show a considerable extension of the feet behind the tail tip.
Trouble